71,834 Certified Grads since 1992
Talk to an Advisor 800-779-1779
Due to COVID-19, Oxford Seminars is currently offering live courses via Zoom. Please call us for more details.
share mail  print

Visas and Travel Documentation

In order to legally work in most countries, a work visa is required. A visa is a travel document obtained from your destination country, allowing you to live and work there.

Types of Visas

Work Visa
Working Holiday Visa (WHV)
Spousal Visa
Student or Tourist Visa

Work Visa

The process of obtaining a visa is different for each country. Often, you must apply for a working visa through the government in your home country, for the country in which you intend to work.

How one country will treat its foreign workers is often reciprocated. For example, if the United States does not have a visa arrangement with citizens from Malaysia, then typically, Malaysia will not offer visas for Americans. To view the countries that have a reciprocal agreement, visit https://www.anyworkanywhere.com.

What You Need

In general, to apply for a working visa you will need a letter of intent from your employer, a copy of your contract, return airline tickets, a copy of your degree and transcripts (if applicable), your passport, your birth certificate, another form of identification, two passport size photos, and a fee.


Working visas can take anywhere from one day to six weeks to process.

Each country has unique regulations when it comes to issuing valid working visas. To view visa information for specific countries, visit our Where You Can Teach section.

To learn more regarding work visas, contact the nearest consulate or embassy of your target country. Visit http://www.embassypages.com/ for a complete directory of the world’s embassies and consulates.

Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

A Working Holiday Visa is an agreement between the United States and another country that allows American citizens to go to that country to work and travel. In turn, the United States allows citizens of that country to work and travel in the United States.

Most of these agreements are for the period of one year, often have an age limitation (generally 18-30), and are usually non-renewable.

To find out where the United States has WHV relationships, visit https://www.anyworkanywhere.com.

Spousal Visa

A spousal visa allows applicants who are married to a citizen of another country to live and work in their spouse’s country of origin, along with their dependents.

Working on a spousal visa depends on the country. For instance, if your spouse is Japanese, you can legally work in Japan on a spousal visa. In other countries, you may have to apply for a secondary working visa. If your spouse is also a foreigner, you will need to secure a separate working visa in most, if not all, countries.

Contact the nearest embassy or consulate to find out the exact requirements. Visit http://www.embassypages.com for a complete directory of the world’s embassies and consulates.

Student or Tourist Visa

A tourist visa is used to travel to countries where you are taking a holiday or vacation. This visa is used for short-term purposes.

A student visa is used to travel to countries where you intend to study or participate in an exchange program.

It is possible to work on a student or tourist visa; however, this practice is illegal in most countries.

In Asia, many schools will ask you to come on a tourist visa, especially if there are time constraints involved. The school will secure you a work visa upon arrival. This practice may require you to do a visa run to a nearby country. If this is required, the school should be responsible for the cost. You should research this thoroughly prior to your departure.

In some countries (like those in Latin America), it is very difficult to obtain a working visa, so working on a tourist visa is common practice. Tourist visas are usually valid for about 90 days depending on the country that you are traveling to.

There are many downsides to this practice:

It is illegal and, if caught, a teacher can be fined and perhaps deported. In some countries the fine will be charged to the school.
You may be required to leave the country often (approximately every three months) to renew your visa; this is commonly known as a visa run.

For more information on tourist visas, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html.

For more information on student visas, visit https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html.

To ensure you have all of your supporting documentation to teach and travel abroad. Refer to the Preparing to Go Checklist for a complete list of things to consider prior to departure.


Teach English Abroad
Free Course Guide
  • Why Choose Oxford Seminars
  • See Where You Can Teach
  • Course Outline
  • Personalized Job Placement


Manhattan , NY
Course #1776: July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
New Brunswick , NJ
Course #1774: July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
Newark , NJ
Course #1775: July 10, 11, 17, 18, 24, 25
See All Course Locations

Next Info Session in Manhattan, NY
10:00 pm, Tuesday, April 20, 2021
Live via Zoom. Zoom meeting ID: 613 544 0105
Zoom Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6135440105
Sign up to receive info session reminders.